« Home | A question of do over » | I knew by the clock on the stove.. » | Who's YOUR God? » | The Terry Shiavo thing » | Things I HATE about work. » | God spells Dog. » | Whatever happened to "when I grow up"? » | OOH! Even more personal details! » | The dog and bunny show » | Doublethink? »

I'm THAT woman now.

2 years ago this day, I was FREAKING out, pregnant, worried about labour, birth plans, how would I be a parent, talking to EVERYONE about it, reading tons of books...

Suddenly, I'm that woman for others.

It's such a neat cycle, and being able to pass on what I've learned, it's kinda cool. My top things:

  • Your body knows what to do. Really, it does. You could go squat in a field, and most likely push out the puppy. It will hurt, but you can do it.
  • It's not pain as you know it. Yes, it hurts, I can't argue that. But it's not "I just chopped my hand off and threw it into some Chili at Wendy's" pain. It's pain with a purpose. Let yourself use the pain as a guide. It's pressure, and it's working with you. Relax and let your body do it's job.
  • Try to avoid the drugs-all of them. For my first, I was induced, and then needed the epidural. I felt weird and icky for days, I progressed WAYYYY to fast(I was only induced because my water broke without contractions, and I was stupid enough to go to the hospital 5 hours after that-I could have waited at least 12). My second, I had NO drugs because I went from nothing to birth in one hour, 50 minutes. Oh, that HURT alright-I will never rid myself of the image of an oyster being shucked as the head crowned and popped out. But I was just fine two seconds after, and I have a better sense of what happened after, and my body recovered quicker.
  • Do NOT blindly follow the doctor. Sadly, many want YOUR birth to accomodate their lives. Mine wanted to induce for the second because she was overdue past the ultrasound date. The ultrasound date said March 1. MY date, based on my cycle, was March 11. I knew that the baby would be fine to 42 weeks, which to me, would occur much later. AND as much as I wanted her off my bladder, I didn't want to interfere. I've never heard of a baby NOT coming out. And on her own time, according to MY calculations, she arrived March 9. DO YOU RESEARCH on methods, drugs, procedures. Come to your own conclusions, with the help of your doctor. For instance, in the hospital where I've given birth both times, the OB/GYN's tell women they don't need birth control if they breastfeed. Which is NOT true, and so the nurses run behind them telling women to NOT listen to that. (in this day and age of women supplementing, it's too big a risk). So educate yourself, and have an open dialogue with your doctor.
  • Enjoy your pregnancy. It's the COOLEST thing you'll ever do. I look at men all the time and say "I can make AND feed people. What can You do?" :)

I wish I was good at science. I'd LOVE to be a midwife.

I'm going to post this on both blogs, since it relates to both parts of me, and I'm WANTING to post on both, and I don't have the topics.

Great tip re: doctors and their schedules. I would be very scared to give birth without drugs. Owie owie owww!

Of course, at this point I'm a bit doubtful that I'll ever choose to have kids... Lots of fertile years left, so we'll see.

It's not pain as you think of pain. I can't describe it, nor could any one to me prior to giving birth. It's almost like your body understands what's happening.
The key is to work WITH your body, and not freak out.

never say never. I hate kids, and if I hadn't of accidently gotten knocked up, I'd still not have any.

I loved this one.... And I totally beleive all that stuff too. Modern science sometimes forgets that the body doesn't always need any help.

Irresistible blog. I look for blogs like this one
when time allows me to. I enjoyed the site and I'll
check it next time!
Everyday of the month you need to peep my Health Insurance blog.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
& Blogger Templates
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from thordora. Make your own badge here.
- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)
SomaFM independent internet radio